Monday, January 4, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Casserole


Tonight I wanted something spicy. Something you enjoy but don't want to eat an entire pan of - we're watching portions!


½ cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
½ cup buffalo wing sauce
¼ cup blue cheese dressing

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook rice according to package instructions; about 20 minutes. Warm oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and celery to the oil and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently, and remove from heat when the chicken has no more pink. Cut up tomatoes in the can, and stir into the chicken mixture along with the wing sauce.

2. Spoon cooked rice into an 8-inch square baking dish. Spread chicken mixture over the rice without stirring.

3. Bake for 25 minutes or until hot in center. Add dressing to the top before serving.

Nancy's Take: Well, I didn't want seconds.  I didn't really want to finish what I started!  I'd never make it again and didn't find many redeeming qualities about this dish.  The chicken got too dried out - I think being "cooked" twice.  And, it all tasted the same - one note - and not a tasty note.  Boo hoo.

Dave's Take: Sometimes food is just a vehicle to enjoy a sauce (think french fries and ketchup, or pancakes and syrup).  This seemed sort of like that.  The Buffalo sauce really saturated the rice and was very overpowering.  I don't have anything against Buffalo sauce, but this dish was was WAY to much of one single strong flavor.  I did not ask for a second helping of this either.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....I had been hoping to try out this recipe, but if neither one of you were crazy about it, and you wouldn't make it again, maybe I'll just pass. Good for you for trying out a new recipe! I look forward to reading about your future experiments!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you were talking about this recipe on the orginal blog and couldn't wait to see what come out of it. I kept checking the blog, was almost ready to call you. Thanks for the feedback! I guess I will be passing on this as well :)

    ReplyDelete