Monday, January 18, 2010

Asian Peanut Butter Pork - Crock Pot

I've been itching to use my crock pot lately.  Probably because I am finding myself unorganized when it comes to dinner time.  And, using the crock pot forces me to think about dinner prior to 3pm.  I also had nearly all of these ingredients on hand - and I've wanted to make this for some time.  The peanut butter seems odd to me - so I figured I should give it a try.....

1 pound pork tenderloin                                        
1 onion - sliced in rings                                      
1/4 cup soy sauce                                              
1/4 cup brown sugar                                            
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar                               
3 tablespoons water                                            
2 cloves garlic - chopped                                      
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter                                   
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts                                  
1 lime - cut in wedges                                         

Use a 4-6 quart crockpot.

Put onion slices into the bottom of your crockpot.

Put the pork on top. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, and peanut butter.

No need to stir--the peanut butter needs to melt before you can do so.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4-6. The pork will be more tender the longer you cook it.

1 hour before serving, flip the meat over in the crockpot to allow the other side to soak up the peanut butter.  Garnish with chopped peanuts, and serve with lime wedges. The lime juice mixed with the peanut butter is delicious.


Nancy's Take:  This was good.  Pretty darn good!  Seeing as I was nursing during dinner (sorry, too much info) I was quite happy I did not need to use a knife.  I liked the sauce - didn't need a ton of it, though.  Having too much peanut butter sauce would be just too much.  Served it with rice and corn which seemed to go well.  The biggest surprise was how much the girls LOVED it.  Erin ate seconds and Ev ate hers in record time as well - no seconds.  I did not feel the lime was necessary - it did not add much.  The one super nice thing about this recipe is I had all the ingredients in hand - except the unnecessary lime!

Dave's Take: This was a pleasant surprise.  The pork was very tender and the peanut sauce was very tasty.  I wanted seconds and enjoyed my seconds ... even though I'm supposed to be watching my portions.  Well I watched that second portion go right down.  I'd say this was short of an "All-Star" dish, but still really good.  I'd be happy to but this into a regular dinner rotation.  I'd say about once a month.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds intriguing, although peanut butter and pork are never two ingredients I would have put together...it sounds like it worked! I love the "Nancy's take and Dave's take" - thanks for writing up your recipe trials!

    ReplyDelete