Monday, March 1, 2010

Gingered Carrot Sweet Potato Soup


I bought a new cookbook.  I need another cookbook like I need another hole in my head.  But, it caught my eye and has SO many recipes that look tasty.  Today as I was making the kids lunch I popped this into the crock pot - so easy and so few ingredients.  Looks pretty strange for me, but we'll see!  I am on Weight Watchers, so this is a great recipe for me - only a few points per serving!

1 medium-large sweet potato
6 medium carrots
1 medium-large sweet onion
1 inch long piece of ginger
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
Yogurt or heavy cream or creme fraiche - optional

Peel sweet potato and chop into 1 inch pieces.  Peel carrots an chop into 3/4 inch pieces.  Peel onion and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.  Add all vegies to crock pot.  Peel ginger and mince (or grate) into crock pot.  Add broth.  If using canned broth, hold off on salt & pepper to see if you need it. Cover and cook on LOW until veggies are tender 9-11 hours.

Turn off slow cooker, uncover and allow soup to cool a few minutes.  Puree in blender or food processor.  Obtain the smoothest consistancy possible, so let the blender go for a few minutes.  Check the seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed.  Serve hot or cold and garnish with yogurt or cream as desired.

Nancy's Take:  I wanted something this simple to taste wonderful!  I wanted to love it.  And, in a small dose I think it is good.  But, a big bowl is just too much.  I could see having it at a formal dinner as one of several courses.  But, who entertains like that???  I did bite the bullet and buy a stick blender and it was amazing!!  I can't wait to get more use from it.

Dave's Take: I've had versions of carrot soups before and I don't think I really care for soups from carrots.  The consistency reminded me of baby food.  The ginger in the soup was interesting and gave it a nice kick.  Nancy and I spoke about the potential of using this soup as some sort of sauce.  It might be rather nice over some rice or chicken.  I didn't ask for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment