Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Carnitas

3 pound pork roast
5 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
12 ounces Beer
  • Place pork roast in bottom of slow cooker.
  • Toss the pepper, salt, jalapeno and garlic together.
  • Spread around and over roast.
  • Pour beer over everything.
  • Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours until pork is tender and fork pulls easily.
  • Serve with warm tortillas, your favorite toppings and salsa.
Nancy:  This was great!!  So super easy and so wonderfully delicious!  I'll definitely make it again - and the kids are already asking for it!  They seem to want everything taco style lately!  I even found really tasty whole wheat tortillas we've been enjoying.  I'll try to spice it up a bit next time.  I did not have a jalapeno, so we did not include that in the recipe.  From the looks of this blog, we eat a lot of pork!  That was not until this blog started - not sure what's going on that I keep making it, but my kids are loving it!

Dave: What a welcome change to taco night.  The pork was tender and the girls DEVOURED it.  They ask for seconds and finished.  I really liked it too.  The carnitas along with avocado, salsa, cheese, beans, and rice made great tacos.  The one thing I would suggest for next time is that the carnitas when all by itself was a bit bland.  I think some spices (not too much but some) would go along way, just like the ground beef usually has some taco spices.  I don't think this should permanently replace ground beef for taco night, but alternating or switching it up with this carnitas recipe every now and then would be a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Jim made this tonight and it was fantastic! He had carnitas in the car on the way to lessons and I ate them next to my non-eating daughter :) Once she's all better we'll have to try it again so she can have some. The meat is SO flavorful!

    ReplyDelete