Monday, February 1, 2010

BBQ Pulled Pork

4 lbs pork roast (shoulder or butt)
2 large sliced onions
1 cup ginger ale
1 bottle favorite BBQ sauce - I bought based on the label I liked best - used a bottle of spicy and sweet because I had to make a larger roast to serve more people...
Barbecue sauce, for serving

Place one onion in crock pot. Put in the roast & cover with the other onion. Add ginger ale. Cover/cook on LOW for about 12 hours. I had to start mine on high due to time constraints... Then cooked on low... Just don't check on it too often - you lose a lot of heat every time you open the crock pot.

Remove the meat, strain and save the onions, discard all liquid. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding remaining fat, bones or skin. Most of the fat will melt away.

Return the shredded meat and the onions to the crock pot, stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook for a few hours on LOW.

Serve w/ buns or rolls and bbq sauce. Leftovers freeze well.

TIP: freeze ready-made sandwiches - a scoop of meat on a bun, well-wrapped. To reheat, remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and zap 1-2 minute in microwave.

Note: Shoulder or butt are recommended because the meat shreds very well. I used a Boneless Boston Butt – and it was great! The bone is no big deal – but buy more than you think you’ll need, as the bone is weighty.

Note 2: If you have a newer or bigger crock pot, you may need to revise times downward, esp. after the bbq sauce is added.

Note 3: Turn the roast over after it's cooked a while, to ensure more even cooking.

Nancy's Take: Yummy! I really liked it and have nothing bad to say about it! I think it would be yummy on a flour tortilla with crispy onions and maybe pickles! But, a real winner – my entire family enjoyed it. It also reheated very nice. I might make a batch and have Dave take it to work for lunches periodically.

Dave's Take: This was a winner. The pork was extremely tender, the onions added a tangy sweetness and the sauce was a hit. It was a combination of both a sweet and hot BBQ sauce. And that made me wonder, how much of this execution was actually determined by the selection of the sauce? I bet you could have very tender pork and everything could be great but if you choose the wrong sauce I bet you could spoil the whole thing. But, not today!! Nancy told me that her selection of sauce in the supermarket was based entirely on the label and its marketing presentation on the shelf. There was an old black gentleman and Nancy said “that guy looks like he knows how to make BBQ”. And low and behold, he did. I would recommend this recipe along with a mixture of mild and spicy Stub’s Texas BBQ sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I know someone else who would love that too. I'll print this out for JIm to try soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete